If you are obese, it is likely that you are considering a lot of options in order to get rid of that weight. Obesity is now a global pandemic and nowhere is it felt more severely than in this country. In fact, 50% of all adults in this country are now overweight and, of these, some 11 million are morbidly obese. Once upon a time, being overweight was just something that was annoying because it didn’t look good. Now, however, we know that there are many other problems associated with it as well, particularly in terms of your health.
The Health Problems Associated with Obesity
As stated, there are many health problems associated with obesity. These include:
- High blood pressure.
- Stroke and heart disease.
- Some types of cancers.
- Type 2 diabetes.
- Gallstones and gall bladder disease.
- Breathing problems, including sleep apnea and asthma.
Additionally, it is important to be aware of the psychological impact of being obese as well. This includes social isolation, depression, suicidal thoughts and more.
Solutions to Weight Loss
There are solutions out there to help people lose weight. Naturally, proper diet and exercise are very important. However, sometimes, this simply isn’t enough anymore. In fact, some people become so obese that it is impossible for them to engage in exercise and to sustain themselves on a low calorie diet. At this point, surgery may be the only available option. There are many different options available and it is vital that you speak to a specialist before coming to your decision.
Comparing the Single to the Dual Gastric Balloon
The single gastric balloon has been very popular for a long time. However, the FDA has recently approved the Orbera gastric balloon and the ReShape Duo gastric balloon. As a result, you now have multiple options available to you. Let’s take a look at the ReShape Dual Gastric Balloon in particular.
You will be able to achieve three main benefits from the ReShape:
- You will lose weight, which is the ultimate goal of any type of gastric surgery. The ReShape is believed to be far more effective than the single balloon.
- The ReShape is very comfortable because it is designed to fit the natural curvature of the stomach. Single balloons have a lot more movement, which can be uncomfortable.
- This type of balloon is far safer than any other option. This is because each is filled and sealed individual, which means that if one should deflate, the other will continue to keep it in place.
- The Orbera is a single balloon, whereas the ReShape is a duo.
- The fill volume of the Orbera is 550cc, whereas the ReShape is 900cc, distributed as 450cc for each balloon.
- The Orbera is a very established device. The ReShape, by contrast, is a new device that truly is the next generation.
- The Orbera floats freely in the stomach, whereas the ReShape fits into the shape of the stomach, which gives it improved tolerability and comfort.